This year, I am going to have more time to do a few projects
that are just for me.
I was off to an early start this morning with a jacket that I have been wanting to try for some time. The photo above is the front pieces of Louise Cutting's pattern "Fun with Fabrics". They will be the red part in the pattern below.
The kimono fabrics seemed like a good choice since they have a good drape. I have no idea what I will use for the black band portions shown in the pattern.
I gathered all my dark kimono fabrics and combined them with a box of kimono scraps that I got from Ricë last month.
When I lived in Japan, I brought back huges boxes of vintage kimono fabrics but I live by the rule that one can never have enough fabric.
One of the problems with vintage fabric is that some of it
can be quite fragile. I was trying to reposition one of the pieces and it
ripped giving opportunity for a patch.
I cut the pattern pieces from muslin to check for fit and to provide a foundation for the kimono fabrics. My intentions were to line the jacket or to make it reversible. Had I realized how fun the stitching would be on the back side, I would have used a more interesting fabric. When I was in the thinking phase of this project, I thought I would hand stitch and quilt it. Instead I am machine stitching, as I just don't have that kind of time to dedicate to one project, there are just too many things I want to do.